Trainer Todd Pletcher shoots for his second consecutive Tempted victory when he saddles Peachtree Stable's Chimichurri. Pletcher won this race last year with Smok'n Frolic.
An Elusive Quality filly, Chimichurri has never finished worse than third in four starts and is out to make amends for a length loss as the chalk in Belmont's Astarita (gr. II) three weeks ago.
Chimichurri was stuck behind horses on the far turn of the Astarita, but once clear of traffic, put in a sustained run down the stretch. She gained two lengths on eventual winner Humorous Lady in the last eighth of a mile, but crossed the wire in third.
"I guess you can say it was a good experience for her, but that wasn't the trip that I wanted," Pletcher said. "I don't think she handled the mud all that well. She still ran a very good race. She's an honest filly."
Chimichurri stretches out from 6 1/2 furlongs to a mile in the Tempted. Her sire, Elusive Quality, won Belmont's 1998 Poker at a mile, although that race was run over the turf.
"She's always given us the impression she'll go a mile, maybe even further," Pletcher said. "She's kind, not headstrong. I think she'll be able to carry her speed."$100,000 Tempted (gr. III), 1 mile, 2-year-old fillies
1 Air Marshall, Jorge Chavez, 115
2 Savedbythelight, Mike Luzzi, 115
3 Xtra Heart, Jose Santos, 117
4 Reign of Tara, Javier Castellano, 115
5 Chimichurri, John Velazquez, 119
6 Bonay, Edgar Prado, 115
7 Runaway Chanel, Richard Migliore, 115
8 Reheat, Shaun Bridgmohan, 115
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Horses to Watch at OBS March Sale
- Native Diver to Receive New Resting Place
- Mining My Own Produces Bodemeister Filly
- Old Friends Retiree The Name's Jimmy Dies
- Half Ours Filly Tops Evangeline 2YO Sale
- Ohio Tracks, Horsemen Sign 10-Year Deals
- Mucho Macho Man Florida's Horse of the Year
- NYRA May Lose Skorton as Chairman
- Tapiture Breezes For Rebel Stakes