Ridden by Alex Solis at 116 pounds, Man Among Men ran one mile on turf in 1:34.64 and paid $4.20, $2.40 and $2.10. Gary Mandella is the trainer for owners R. D. Hubbard and Connie Sczesny. It was the first stakes victory for Mandella, son of Hall of Fame trainer Richard Mandella.
Runner-up Peace Rules did everything but win. New to the circuit from New York, the Florida-bred son of Jules opened a clear lead while setting fractional times of :23.03, :46.82 and 1:11.07. He turned into the stretch with a 1 1/2-length advantage, and just failed to hold off Man Among Men. Ridden by Pat Valenzuela, Peace Rules returned $2.40 and $2.10. It was eight lengths back to Gohalo, Chance Rollins aboard, for a $2.10 show payoff.
Man Among Men was rated in third place, some seven lengths behind Peace Rules, began his bid while three-wide on the last turn, and then fought the entire length of the stretch to edge past Peace Rules.
A Kentucky-bred by Gentlemen, Man Among Men has a two wins from three starts and is unbeaten in two races on turf. The $30,840 first prize increased his earnings to $62,040.
Most Popular Stories
- Turfway to Boost Purses With KTDF Supplements
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- New York Panel to Adopt, Amend Racing Rules
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014