River Downs publicity director John Engelhardt said he would "jump in the lake" if Ohio-bred Harlan's Holiday wins the Breeders' Cup Classic. Harlan's Holiday won the 2001 Miller Genuine Draft Cradle Stakes as a 2-year-old."I jokingly said one day about a year ago that I'd jump into the infield lake if a Cradle winner ever won the Breeders' Cup Classic," said Engelhardt, who will be at River Downs Oct. 26 in case he has to make good on his bet. "My assistant, Darlene Guenther, wrote the statement down and had me sign it, and it has been hanging on her wall ever since. How did I know the horse would get so good--or the water so cold!"Talk about mixed emotions," Engelhardt said. "I want to see him win, but I'm not so crazy about taking a swim in 50 degree temperatures. Certainly a victory will give me the chills--some I'll never forget."Lone Star Sky, winner of this year's Cradle, will compete in the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile.
Most Popular Stories
- Chasing Landaluce
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Test in Hong Kong
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Horizontal Navigation: Breeding Tab
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- Erskine Says Juddmonte Group Not for Sale