A grade I winner as a juvenile, Gary and Mary West's Power Broker will try to secure the second stakes victory of his career June 8 in the $150,000 Easy Goer Stakes at Belmont Park.
As a maiden last year, Power Broker won the Frontrunner Stakes (gr. I), formerly the Norfolk, at Santa Anita Park. But after a fifth-place effort in the Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I), the son of Pulpit didn't make his 3-year-old debut until the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), where he finished fifth. Power Broker appeared to be regaining top form May 10 at Churchill Downs when he cruised to a clear victory in an allowance race.
Trained by Bob Baffert, Power Broker has won two of seven starts and has earned $288,800.
Awaiting Power Broker in the 1 1/16-mile race for 3-year-olds will be Always in a Tiz, who had been considered for the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) later on Saturday's card before his connections ultimately decided on the Easy Goer.
MeB Racing Stables and Brooklyn Boyz Racing Stables' Always in a Tiz has placed in one stakes race this year and one last year. Trained by Dominic Schettino, the Tiznow colt will make his first start since finishing ninth in the Wood Memorial Stakes (gr. I) April 6 at Aqueduct Racetrack.
The field of nine also includes Shadwell Stable's Irsaal, who enters off a two-length allowance/optional claiming race victory for trainer Kiaran McLaughlin May 8 at Belmont.
The Easy Goer kicks off the stakes action on Belmont Stakes day. It is the sixth race with a scheduled post time of 2:34 p.m. EDT.
$150,000 Easy Goer Stakes (race 6, approximate post time 2:34 p.m.) 3YO, 1 1/16 miles
PP, Horse, Jockey, Trainer
1. Always in a Tiz (KY), D. Cohen, 118, D. Schettino
2. Power Broker (KY), R. Napravnik, 122, B. Baffert
3. Puget Sound (KY), C. Velasquez, 118, D. Jacobson
4. Doherty (KY), J. Velazquez, 118, T. Pletcher
5. New Line (KY), J. Alvarado, 118, W. Mott
6. Eton Blue (KY), J. Lezcano, 118, N. Zito
7. Micromanage (KY), J. Castellano, 118, T. Pletcher
8. Wabbajack (KY), R. Maragh, 118, J. Toner
9. Irsaal (VA), I. Ortiz Jr. 118, K. McLaughlin