An overflow field of 14, highlighted by undefeated Keeneland contender Winning Cause, plus previous Stoll Keenon Ogden Phoenix (gr. III) victors Sum of the Parts and Hoofit, are entered in this year's edition of the race Oct. 4.
Scheduled as the eighth race on Keeneland's opening-day 10-race program, the six-furlong Stoll Keenon Ogden Phoenix is a "Win and You're In" race for the $1.5 million Breeders' Cup Xpressbet Sprint (gr. I) to be run Nov. 2 at Santa Anita Park. First post time Friday is 1:05 p.m. (ET) with the Stoll Keenon Ogden Phoenix scheduled at 4:49 p.m.
Trained by Todd Pletcher, who ranks second all time at Keeneland in stakes victories with 38, Alto Racing's Winning Cause has not run in a one-turn race since an allowance victory at Keeneland April 6 prior to his come-from-behind score in the April 20 Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. III). Garrett Gomez has the mount on Winning Cause, who will break from the outside post 14.
Bred in Kentucky by Galleria Bloodstock, Winning Cause is by Giant's Causeway , out of the Kingmambo mare Raffishing Look. The 3-year-old chestnut colt holds a record of 4-4-1 from 12 starts, for earnings of $363,683.
Klaravich Stables and William Lawrence's Sum of the Parts captured the 2012 Phoenix in front-running fashion. Trained by Tom Amoss, the son of Speightstown enters this year's race off a nearly four-month layoff, having most recently finished fifth in a stakes at Presque Isle Downs in June. Leandro Goncalves has the mount Friday on Sum of the Parts, who will break from post 11.
Trained by Graham Motion, Hoofit returns to the scene of his most recent victory that came by a narrow nose in the 2011 Phoenix. The 6-year-old son of Mossman is now looking to snap a 13-race winless streak, although he has been on the board in all four of his 2013 starts. Owned by Mrs. S.K. Johnston Jr., Hoofit will break from post 9 and be ridden by Edgar Prado, who was aboard for the 2011 victory in the race.
Other strong contenders in the Phoenix field include this year's Iowa Sprint winner and Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap (gr. I) third-place finisher Gentlemen's Bet; and additional 2013 graded stakes victors Hogy, Laugh Track, and Go Blue or Go Home.
$200,000 Stoll Keenon Ogden Phoenix (gr. III, approximate post time 4:49 p.m. EDT), 3YOs and up, six furlongs (all weather track)
PP, Horse, Jockey, Trainer, Odds
1. Marchman (KY), C J Lanerie, 118, W B Calhoun
2. Occasional View (ON), J R Leparoux, 120, H G Motion
3. Reload (KY), J R Velazquez, 120, C R McGaughey III
4. Global Power (KY), S Spieth, 122, J A Radosevich
5. Jasizzle (KY), S Bridgmohan, 120, T R Mills
6. Laugh Track (KY), M Mena, 122, M E Casse
7. Gentlemen's Bet (FL), M E Smith, 122, R Moquett
8. Go Blue or Go Home (VA), P Lopez, 122, R Baker
9. Hoofit (NZ), E S Prado, 120, H G Motion
10. Ghost Is Clear (KY), R Napravnik, 120, M J Maker
11. Sum of the Parts (KY), L R Goncalves, 120, T M Amoss
12. Hogy (KY), J Rocco Jr., 122, W M Catalano
13. Laurie's Rocket (KY), R Santana Jr., 120, D W Lukas
14. Winning Cause (KY), G K Gomez, 120, T A Pletcher
15. Console (KY) (AE), B J Hernandez Jr., 120, W I Mott