Susan Moulton's Solitary Ranger, who broke his maiden by 5 1/2 lengths when winning the Sept. 7 Arlington-Washington Futurity (gr. III) in his most recent start, headlines a field of 14 plus two also-eligibles for the $400,000 Dixiana Breeders' Futurity (gr. I) at Keeneland Oct. 5.
The 1 1/16-mile race on the Polytrack is a Breeders' Cup Challenge "Win and You're In" event for the $2 million Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) to be run Nov. 2 at Santa Anita Park.
Trained by Wayne Catalano, Solitary Ranger ran second in two 4 1/2-furlong sprints at Keeneland in April, including to eventual group I winner No Nay Never
, before resurfacing to win the Arlington-Washington Futurity at Arlington Park
. Florent Geroux has the mount Saturday on the 2-year-old son of U S Ranger
, who will break from the 6 hole. For more on Solitary Ranger, read this week's installment of Novak at the Track
Also expected to draw attention is Conquest Stables' Conquest Titan
, winner of the Swynford Stakes at Woodbine
by 5 1/4 lengths in his Polytrack debut. Trained by Mark Casse, Conquest Titan will be ridden by Eurico Da Silva and breaks from post 9. Casse trained runner-up Dynamic Sky
in last year's edition of the Breeders' Futurity.
, Conquest Titan finished fourth on dirt at Churchill Downs
before going directly to the Swynford to break his maiden.
"He trains like a superstar," Casse said. "After his first race at Churchill Downs, we took him back to Woodbine, where he was training so well that we put him in a stakes. He won that in complete control."
Others of interest include You See Vee Gee Stable's Ready for Action
, a Dale Capuano trainee who won twice on the Tapeta at Presque Isle Downs
and was the runner-up in the Sept. 26 Fitz Dixon Jr. Memorial Juvenile Stakes; and St. Elias Thoroughbreds and West Point Thoroughbreds' Tiznowforamerica
, a solid maiden winner Sept. 2 at Saratoga Race Course
for trainer Tom Albertrani.
Also eligible are Spendthrift Farm's Medal Count
, a Dynaformer colt who was a 6 1/4-length winner going a mile in an off-the-turf maiden special weight Sept. 1 at Ellis Park
, and Donegal Racing's maiden Oogeley Eye
. Both are trained by Dale Romans.
PP, Horse, Jockey, Trainer
1. Intense Holiday (KY), C.P. DeCarlo, T A Pletcher
2. Kendall's Boy (KY), G.K. Gomez, T M Amoss
3. School On a Hill (KY), N. Arroyo, Jr., W M Catalano
4. Laddie Boy (KY), J.L. Castanon, C Peery
5. Rum Point (KY), M.Gutierrez, D F O'Neill
6. Solitary Ranger (KY), F. Geroux, W M Catalano
7. General Jack (KY), A. Garcia, M J Maker
8. Pontos (KY), V. Schulepov, G. Dorochenko
9. Conquest Titan (KY), E.R. DaSilva, M E Casse
10. Arctic Slope (KY), J. Rocco, Jr., K G McPeek
11. Ready for Action (MD), J.A. Garcia, D Capuano
12. We Miss Artie (ON), J.R. Velazquez, T A Pletcher
13. Smarty's Echo (KY), E.T. Baird, A P Smith
14. Tiznowforamerica (KY), J.R. Leparoux, T Albertrani
15. Medal Count (KY), R. Albarado, D L Romans
16. Oogley Eye (PA), C.J. Lanerie, D L Romans
All carry 121 pounds.