Kitten Kaboodle's 4 3/4-length triumph in the 1 1/16-mile Jessamine last fall at Keeneland is the lone victory from five starts for the Kitten's Joy
filly, who is trained by Chad Brown for Ken and Sarah Ramsey.
In her most recent outing, Kitten Kaboodle faded to seventh in the Florida Oaks (gr. IIIT) March 8 at Tampa Bay Downs
after racing into contention on the turn and bidding outside the leader. Kitten Kaboodle carries top wieght of 123 pounds under the race's allowance conditions. She will break from post 7 in the Appalachian and be ridden by John Velazquez.
Regis Racing's Zinzay broke her maiden at first asking in August at Saratoga
for trainer Rusty Arnold, then immediately was stepped up to graded competition in the Appalachian in her only other start of the season. The Smart Strike
filly finished a creditable second in her 2014 debut, going the Appalachian distance in an optional claiming race March 15 on the Gulfstream Park
grass. Regular rider Joe Rocco Jr., has the call on Zinzay, who will break from post 2 under 118 pounds.
Gary Barber has an intriguing entrant in Lacarolina
, who will be making her United States debut for trainer Mark Casse. Winner of the Prix Miesque (Fr-III) at Maisons-Laffitte to close her juvenile campaign, the Charge d'Affaires
filly, who also will tote 118 pounds, starts from post 3 and with Stewart Elliott aboard.
$100,000 Appalachian Stakes Presented by Japan Racing Association (gr. IIIT, approximate post time 4:42 p.m. EDT), Fillies, 3-year-olds, one mile
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Recepta (KY), J Rosario, 120, J J Toner
2. Zinzay (KY), J Rocco, Jr., 118 ,G R Arnold, II
3. Lacarolina (FR), S Elliott, 118, M E Casse
4. Sweet Acclaim (IRE), R Napravnik, 118, C C Brown
5. Daring Dancer (MD), A Garcia, 118, H G Motion
6. Babe's Ruler (FL), K J Desormeaux, 118, J Scott
7. Kitten Kaboodle (KY), J R Velazquez, 123, C C Brown
8. False Clock (KY), B J Hernandez, Jr., 118, M Lovell
9. Resistivity (KY), J R Leparoux, 118, M E Casse
10. Annulment (KY), C J Lanerie, 118, V H Oliver
11. Maria Maria (KY), R Albarado, 118, J P DiVito
12. Paloma P (KY), A Jimenez, 118, E R Reed