Woodbine's Natalma Stakes Saturday in Two Divisions
Updated: Saturday, September 7, 2002 6:35 PM
(From track report)
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2002 6:32 PM
A total of 21 2-year-old fillies were entered for Saturday's Natalma Stakes at Woodbine, necessitating a split into two divisions for the one mile turf stake.
The first division, with a purse of $169,200, brings together several promising invaders challenging a local contingent headed by a Mark Casse-trained trio. Three fillies in the race are undefeated – Sand Springs, Little Miss Pamela and Meghanmehappy.
Sand Springs broke her maiden, a 1 1/16-mile journey, impressively at Saratoga Aug. 4, scoring by 1 1/4 lengths over yielding turf. Trained by Tony Reinstedler, the daughter of Dynaformer will be handled by Robert Landry on Sunday.
Little Miss Pamela, an El Prado offspring, has been a runaway winner of both of her sprint starts at Colonial Downs in Virginia. She'll be handled by her usual pilot, Joseph Rocco, for trainer Richard Trimmer.
One of Casse's threesome is Meghanmehappy, to be ridden by Patrick Husbands. The daughter of Naevus broke her maiden impressively by almost five lengths on the main track, then captured the seven-furlong turf prep for the Natalma on Aug. 16.
Another filly who will get a good look is One and Twenty, who also broke her maiden at Saratoga on Aug. 4 on the grass, after finishing fourth in two outings on the dirt. Todd Kabel rides the daughter of Honour and Glory for trainer Richard Violette.
Making her turf debut is Buffalo Jump, who finished second to highly-regarded Handpainted in the Ontario Debutante Aug. 11, after winning her opener. Ray Sabourin'll ride her for trainer Josie Carroll.
The $170,700 second division also boasts a couple of unbeaten imports, Fortuitous and Golden Show.
Trained by James Bond, Fortuitous, another daughter of Dynaformer, broke her maiden on the turf with a strong stretch run in a 1 1/16-mile event Aug. 19 at Saratoga. Robert Landry will ride the $140,000 (U.S.) Keeneland yearling purchase.
Golden Show arrives at Woodbine from Colonial Downs after winning a maiden turf sprint. The daughter of 1987 Breeders' Cup Turf winner Theatrical will be ridden by Phil Teator for trainer John Fisher.
Casse sends out an entry in this Natalma division, To the Chapel and Dress to Impress. Patrick Husbands will ride To the Chapel, recently fourth to Handpainted in the Ontario Debutante. She's a daughter of 1982 Canadian three-year-old champion Runaway Groom, winner of the Prince of Wales and Breeders' Stakes on turf but who also won the prestigious Travers Stakes and was runner-up in the Queen's Plate on the main track. Jono Jones has been named to ride the Casse-owned Dress to Impress, who recently broke her maiden on the turf.
Named for the mother of the incomparable Northern Dancer, the Natalma has been captured by a number of remarkable fillies since its debut in 1965, champions such as Dance Smartly, Fanfreluche, Alywow, Kirby's Song, La Lorgnette, Bessarabian, Par Excellance, Ruling Angel, Rainbow Connection and Jammed Lovely.
Last year, Ginger Gold won a division of the Natalma on her way to Sovereign Award two-year-old filly honours. She returned this year to win the Labatt Woodbine Oaks.Natalma Stakes (1st division)/Purse $169,200
PP Horse/Trainer/Jockey/Morning line odds
1. One and Twenty/Richard Violette Jr./Todd Kabel/4-1
2. Buffalo Jump/Josie Carroll/Ray Sabourin/8-1
3. Better Half/Mark Casse/Patrick Husbands/12-1
4. Meghanmehappy/Mark Casse/Patrick Husbands/9-2
5. Swift of Flight/Mark Frostad/Slade Callaghan/10-1
6. Queen of Queens/Mike Doyle/Chantal Sutherland/12-1
7. Fritzy Hour/Ron Burke/Jim McAleney/15-1
8. Lost Romance/Mark Casse/Jono Jones/12-1
9. Sand Springs/Anthony Reinstedler/Robert Landry/3-1
10. Little Miss Pamela/Richard Trimmer/Joseph Rocco/6-1 Natalma Stakes (2nd division)/Purse $170,700
PP Horse/Trainer/Jockey/Morning line odds
1. Curiosity/Mike Doyle/Slade Callaghan/8-1
2. Venturous/David Bell/Richard Dos Ramos/10-1
3. Wawota/Josie Carroll/Ray Sabourin/10-1
4. Sweet Storm Creek/Sid Attard/Simon Husbands/4-1
5. Golden Show/John Fisher/Phil Teator/8-1
6. To the Chapel/Mark Casse/Patrick Husbands/9-2 (e)
7. Fortuitous/James Bond/Robert Landry/5-2
8. Dress to Impress/Mark Casse/Patrick Husbands/9-2 (e)
9. Turned On/Eric Coatrieux/Emile Ramsammy/15-1
10. Harbor Blues/Mike Doyle/Chantal Sutherland/12-1
11. Angel in Tights/John Charalambous/Steven Bahen/15-1
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!