Trainer Kevin Ryan will find out if record-setting Prix du Jockey Club (Fr-I, French Derby) victor The Grey Gatsby
has the stamina to win the Juddmonte Grand Prix de Paris (Fr-I) July 13 at Longchamp.
An impressive three-length winner of the French Derby at 2,100 meters (1 5/16 miles) June 1 at Chantilly in his most recent start, The Grey Gatsby stretches out to the traditional Derby distance of 2,400 meters (about 1 1/2 miles) for the first time in the Longchamp fixture for 3-year-olds. The race drew 10 other contenders, including French Derby favorite and closing third-place finisher Prince Gibraltar
"He wasn't stopping (in the French Derby) that's for sure, and it was a hands and heels ride, so I think there's a very good chance he will get the mile-and-a-half," Ryan told At The Races about The Grey Gatsby, who clocked a stakes record time of 2:05.58
Prince Gibraltar, last halfway through the French Derby, was checked briefly in the final quarter mile. But when switched left inside the final furlong he stayed on strongly to take third, suggesting he might be perfectly suited to the extra distance.
Trained by Jean-Claude Rouget, Prince Gibraltar was a five-length winner of the Criterium de Saint-Cloud (Fr-I) last September at Longchamp.
Juddmonte Grand Prix de Paris (Fr-I), Longchamp, July 13, 3YOs, 2,400 meters (about 1 1/2 miles), turf
No. PP. Horse (Where Bred) (Sire), Jockey, Trainer
2. 5. Gallante (IRE) (Montjeu), P. Boudot, A. Fabre
3. 3. Prince Gibraltar (FR) (Rock of Gibraltar), C. Soumillon, J. C. Rouget
4. 4. Auvray (FR) (Le Havre), G. Benoist, E. Lellouche
5. 2. Golden Guepard (IRE) (Hurricane Run), M. Guyon, A. Fabre
8. 6. Machucambo (FR) (Anabaa), G. Mosse, C. Ferland
9. 8. Guardini (FR), (Dalakhani), O. Peslier, J. P. Carvalho
10. 9. Freeport Lux (GB) (Oasis Dream), T. Jarnet, F. Head
11. 11. Prince Nomad (FR) (Galileo) M. Barzalona, X. T. Demeaulte