The projection, traditionally announced at the time of the Round Table, is computed from Reports of Mares Bred received so far for the 2002 breeding season. RMBs are to be filed by Aug. 1 of each breeding season.
The 2003 estimate represents a 3.9% increase over the 35,600 foals forecast for 2002. The estimated 2001 registered Thoroughbred foal crop is 36,800, while the 2000 registered Thoroughbred foal crop is projected at 36,700.
Foal registration is to be completed within 12 months of the birth of the foal. However, late registration is possible for additional fees, which makes final foal crop counts not feasible before Dec. 31 of the crop's 2-year-old year, the time by which the vast majority of the foal crop has been registered.The Jockey Club also announced that owner-breeder G. Watts Humphrey, Jr. has joined the board of stewards to fill the position vacated by Wheelock Whitney at the expiration of his four-year term of office.
Humphrey, a member of The Jockey Club since 1976 and a steward on three previous occasions since 1982, owns Shawnee Farm in Harrodsburg, Ky., and is president of GWH Holdings, Inc. in Pittsburgh, Pa. He is vice president and treasurer of Breeders' Cup Ltd. and serves on the boards of the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association and the American Horse Council. In addition, Humphrey is a director of Keeneland Association, Churchill Downs, and the National Thoroughbred Racing Association. Jockey Club chairman Ogden Mills Phipps has been re-elected to a four-year term as a steward of the organization.More, The Jockey Club Fact Book
Most Popular Stories
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Miss Mossman Surprises in New Zealand Oaks
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Dissident, Appearance Win at Royal Randwick
- Trainer Chuck Treece Collects 1,000th Win
- Apprentice Boulanger Guides in First Winner
- Lexington Tracks Eye Instant Racing Licenses
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog