Private Emblem is the 8-5 morning line favorite in Saturday's $125,000-added New York Derby at Finger Lakes Race Track.
The Arkansas Derby (gr. II) winner will compete against a field of five other New York-breds. He comes into the race off a third place finish in the Mike Lee Stakes at Belmont Park and is making his third start since winning the Arkansas Derby. Private Emblem is owned by James Cassels and Robert Vollars. He is trained by Steve Asmussen and will be ridden by Donnie Meche.
No Parole, who won the Mike Lee Stakes, is the second choice in the field. He is seeking to be the first horse to sweep the New York Triple, which concludes with the Albany Stakes at Saratoga on August 21.
The field for the New York Derby is as follows:
1) No Parole, Shaun Bridgemohan, 124, 2-1
2) Trial Prep, John Grabowski, 117, 9-2
3) Private Emblem, Donnie Meche, 117, 8-5
4) Lord Ofthe Thunder, Norberto Arroyo, Jr., 121, 5-1
5) Levendis, Dennis Carr, 117, 12-1
6) Smokieisabandit, Michael Davila, 119, 10-1