NYRA Gears up For Saratoga with Promotions, Events
Updated: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 6:31 PM
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 6:31 PM
The New York Racing Association and Saratoga Springs, N.Y., are gearing up for the start of the Saratoga racing season which opens July 24. Last year the track had over a million visitors, and track and town officials are looking for a repeat in 2002, the 134th season of racing at the Spa.
In 2002 records also fell for on-track handle, total handle, single-day attendance, single-day on-track handle, single-day total handle, Travers Day attendance, Opening Day attendance, Opening Day on-track handle and Opening Day total handle.
Last year NYRA also lowered takeout. By this year's meet, $37 million will have been returned to bettors because of the lower takeout.
"We constantly strive to bring in the best horses to make the best races, and that is especially apparent at Saratoga which stands as racing's showcase meet," said Terry Meyocks, NYRA president and Chief Operating Officer. "By lowering the takeout last year, our costumers were able to participate more in the sport they love."
The special events begin even before the track opens--the annual open house is Sunday July 21 and includes music, pony rides, backstretch tours, and a handicapping seminar.
- Opening weekend, "Hats off to Saratoga,"
includes the 11th annual hat contest on Saturday and free live music in downtown Saratoga Springs on Friday and Saturday nights. On Sunday the track will hold its first giveaway--a Jerry Bailey bobble head doll
. Dolls are free with paid admission, as long as supplies last.
- Sunday, August 4th is NHL Day, with noted hockey players and coaches in attendance and signing autographs.
- Monday, August 5th Hall of Fame Induction
ceremony at 10:30 a.m. at the Humphrey S. Finney Pavilon on East Avenue. The public is invited and admission is free. Fans can meet the new inductees and some of the veteran members.
- NFL Alumni Day and Baseball cap
giveaway Aug. 11.
- Travers Festival Aug. 17-25 includes street festivals, live music, arts and crafts shows, golf tournaments, contests, galas, and more. Get details at 1-(800) 526-8970 or www.saratoga.org
- Sept. 1 Saratoga t-shirt giveaway
- Sept. All-American Picnic being served up in the At the Rail Pavilion.
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!